A popular bonfire and firework display scheduled for tonight in Sheffield has been cancelled this year due to safety concerns.
The event held in Chelsea Park, between Brincliffe Edge and Nether Edge, was unable to meet the Council’s measures for firework safety and crowd management.
The decision was announced by the organisers, the ‘72nd St Andrew’s Scout Group,’ on Thursday.
They said that another factor considered was the poor weather forecast for ‘Bonfire Night.’
Tim Major, Group Scout Leader and Event Organiser, said: “We have never before been asked for the level of compliance and scrutiny from the Council to our safety plans and operation of the event.
“The Council have not been satisfied public safety is secured.”
The Council Safety Advisory Group (SAG) produced much more thorough guidelines during the planning of the event this year.
It led to additional costs and precautions needing to be taken and the Scout Group did not have enough time and resources to meet the Council’s requirements.
Mr Major said: “We only were able to meet with members of the SAG last week on site in the park to hear their genuine concerns.
“Moving forward the Scout Group will engage with the Council much earlier next year to set out and agree the Event Management Plan in good time.”
It is now the third year in a row that the bonfire/firework display has been cancelled.
It was a combination of Covid-19 and a lack of manpower in the group that prevented the 2020 and 2021 events from going ahead.